Archive

Archive for the ‘oil palm’ Category

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1337 days and counting…

February 20, 2017 1 comment

count

sabl-how-much-land

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

sabl cartoon

Stolen SABL land would reach all the way to the moon

February 20, 2017 2 comments

sabl-how-much-land

By ACTNOW!

Fifty two thousand square kilometres of customary land has been stolen in the SABL land grab.

52,000 square kilometres is the same as 5.2 million hectares – but what does that amount of land really look like?

Well, 52,000 square kilometres is the same as the whole of Central and Northern (Oro) Provinces put together – imagine that: land equivalent to two whole Provinces illegally given to foreign companies!

It is also the same as 7 million rugby fields.

Yup, you could create 7,000,000 rugby fields from the land stolen in the SABL land grab – and if we laid those rugby fields end to end they would reach all the way to the moon and almost all the way back!

Just imagine that, you could walk all the way to the moon on the land stolen in the SABL land grab!

In June 2013, almost four years ago, a Commission of Inquiry found the SABL leases had been illegally issued and recommended they be cancelled and land given back to customary landholders.

But what has been the government’s response to this huge illegal theft of customary land?

Zip, nothing, nill. Not one lease has been cancelled by the government.

Who is our government working for? For us, the people of PNG, or the foreign companies who have stolen our land? 

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1330 days and counting…

February 13, 2017 Leave a comment

count

It is now just a few months to the election, but there is still NO ACTION to reverse the huge SABL land grab. NO ACTION to return the land to customary landholders and NO ACTION to stop the illegal logging in SABL areas.

It is now 1,330days since the reports of the SABL Commission Inquiry which detail the widespread fraud and mismanagement that has allowed foreign logging companies to gain illegal access to over 50 thousand square kilometres of land.

Since June 2013, more than three-and-a-half years ago, O’Neill has REPEATEDLY promised us the leases will be canceled and illegal logging stopped.

In September 2013, O’Neill said in Parliament:

“We will no longer watch on as foreign owned companies come in and con our landowners, chop down our forests and then take the proceeds offshore”

In June 2014, announcing an NEC decision supposedly cancelling the leases, O’Neill said

“We are taking these steps to reclaim our customary land illegally lost to foreigners with the help of corrupt public servants and leaders”

“As a responsible government we want to ensure that all citizens have access to the lands of their ancestors. We will not allow our land to be lost to unscrupulous people out to con our people” 

In 2015 the Chief Secretary stated:

“It is widely known that vast amounts of pristine forest have been logged to enrich a corrupt few people, while landowners have unknowingly lost their most valuable asset – their land”.

And just three months ago, on November 4, O’Neill told Parliament and the Nation:

“I am pleased to say that all the SABL leases to be cancelled, instruction has now gone to the Lands Dept and as of today I can assure you that leases are now being cancelled and where there are projects now existing, we’ve encouraged the landowners to renegotiate many of those leases arrangements that they have made with the developers.

“These leases were given without much thought in the past. As a result, a lot of the landowners stood to lose all their years of generations of ownership over the land that they have had for many years.

“We do not want the rightful landowners lose their rights to land.

“That is why we have instructed the department of Lands and Forestry to cancel all the SABL.”

But, despite all the promises, no action has been taken to cancel the leases, landowners are receiving no support from the government in their battles against the land grabbing and WE ARE STILL WAITING for the logging to be stopped.

For 1,330 days O’Neill has failed to ensure the SABL leases are revoked and has been complicit in the illegal logging of our forests by foreign logging companies.

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has aided and abetted the theft of logs worth hundreds of million of Kina and the destruction of thousands of hectares of pristine forest.

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1323 days and still counting…

February 6, 2017 1 comment

count

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

px-logo land grabbing

sabl cartoon

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1316 days and counting…

January 30, 2017 2 comments

count

It is now less than six month until the election, the public service is back at work, but there is still NO ACTION to reverse the huge SABL land grab. NO ACTION to return the land to customary landholders and NO ACTION to stop the illegal logging in SABL areas.

It is now 1,316 days since the reports of the SABL Commission Inquiry which detail the widespread fraud and mismanagement that has allowed foreign logging companies to gain illegal access to over 50 thousand square kilometres of land.

Since June 2013, more than three-and-a-half years ago, O’Neill has REPEATEDLY promised us the leases will be canceled and illegal logging stopped.

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

In September 2013, O’Neill said in Parliament:

“We will no longer watch on as foreign owned companies come in and con our landowners, chop down our forests and then take the proceeds offshore”

In June 2014, announcing an NEC decision supposedly cancelling the leases, O’Neill said

“We are taking these steps to reclaim our customary land illegally lost to foreigners with the help of corrupt public servants and leaders”

“As a responsible government we want to ensure that all citizens have access to the lands of their ancestors. We will not allow our land to be lost to unscrupulous people out to con our people” 

In 2015 the Chief Secretary stated:

“It is widely known that vast amounts of pristine forest have been logged to enrich a corrupt few people, while landowners have unknowingly lost their most valuable asset – their land”.

And just three months ago, on November 4, O’Neill told Parliament and the Nation:

“I am pleased to say that all the SABL leases to be cancelled, instruction has now gone to the Lands Dept and as of today I can assure you that leases are now being cancelled and where there are projects now existing, we’ve encouraged the landowners to renegotiate many of those leases arrangements that they have made with the developers.

“These leases were given without much thought in the past. As a result, a lot of the landowners stood to lose all their years of generations of ownership over the land that they have had for many years.

“We do not want the rightful landowners lose their rights to land.

“That is why we have instructed the department of Lands and Forestry to cancel all the SABL.”

But, despite all the promises, no action has been taken to cancel the leases, landowners are receiving no support from the government in their battles against the land grabbing and WE ARE STILL WAITING for the logging to be stopped.

For 1,316 days O’Neill has failed to ensure the SABL leases are revoked and has been complicit in the illegal logging of our forests by foreign logging companies.

Prime Minister Peter O’Neill has aided and abetted the theft of logs worth hundreds of million of Kina and the destruction of thousands of hectares of pristine forest.

sabl cartoon

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1309 days and counting…

January 23, 2017 Leave a comment

count

sabl cartoon

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

O’Neill’s illegal logging: 1295 days and counting…

January 9, 2017 Leave a comment

count

Peter O'Neill: Theft of forest resources: Guilty

SABL_billboard