Home > Corruption, Human rights, Land, Logging, oil palm, Papua New Guinea > Forest Minister, Tomuriesa, a complete hypocrite over the SABL land grab and illegal logging

Forest Minister, Tomuriesa, a complete hypocrite over the SABL land grab and illegal logging

November 15, 2016 Leave a comment Go to comments
The Forest Minister sitting comfortably on his trip home from Paris

Forest Minister, Douglas Tomuriesa, is so full of bullshit…

The audacity, bare faced cheek and hypocrisy from Forest Minister Douglas Tomuriesa is just jaw dropping!

This is a man who for three years has vehemently denied any suggestion of illegal logging in PNG, and has wholly heartedly endorsed the destructive logging operations in SABL lease areas that have seen timber worth more then US$400 million stolen from customary landowners and exported to China.

That logging in SABL areas is still continuing today, with Tomuriesa’s seal of approval, yet he tells Parliament:

  • ‘The government decision to cancel the leases is commendable’
  • ‘The leases should ‘never have happened’
  • ‘Due diligence must be done before any approval can be granted’
  • ‘Our people’s rights and our children’s future must be protected’

Most staggering of all, Tomuriesa says:

“The land belongs to our people. It must remain with our people, the forest belongs to our people and it must not be taken away from them”

So Minister, please tell us why you have allowed over 4 million cubic meters of logs to be stolen from SABL lease areas without the informed consent of local people but under the guise of approvals granted by you and your Department. 

Why are you STILL allowing the logging to continue when you say our people’s rights must be protected!

By HELEN TARAWA, The National (owned by Rimbunan Hijau), November 11, 2016
The Special Agriculture Business Lease (SABL) was designed to fail and the Government’s decision to cancel it is commendable, Forest Minister Douglas Tomuriesa said.
Tomuriesa told Parliament last week that SABL was designed for disaster and the Government had taken a corrective measure, with land going back to the people.
“The investors can now go back and renegotiate proper deals with our people,” he said.
“We should not allow this to happen again, such practice that is approved by this Parliament or by bureaucrats should never have happened.
“I want to commend the prime minister and his Cabinet for looking at the Commission of Inquiry report and eventually cancelling the SABL.
“Due diligence must be done before any approval can be granted; as leaders we allowed this to happen.
“We have to look at any similar controversial acts like the SABL that have been approved in the past and we must stop them now.
“Our people’s rights and our children’s future must be protected by this parliament and not allow foreigners come and dictate to us.
“The land belongs to our people. It must remain with our people, the forest belongs to our people and it must not be taken away from them.
“Our people were given rubbish, today they have the power in their hands to sit back and negotiate.
“I would like to acknowledge all parliament members for your support in making sure that we fix this issue once and for all.
“This SABL must not happen again.
“It there are other initiatives like this, we must stop. We must not sell the birthrights of our people to foreigners.”

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: